Our critics have been hard at work reviewing the latest films. Here is a look at what’s coming out this weekend (in select cities, check your local listings) and what else may be in theaters right now.
Opening: May 2-4, 2014
Wide (United States)
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Limited (United States)
- Excerpt: An eighteenth-century costume drama that lights up the screen with a beautiful mixed race heroine, an idealistic law student, and a circle of older English aristocrats whose most cherished traditions are challenged.
2014 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
- Excerpt: Reading the plot synopsis, I knew the movie would either be hilariously brilliant or downright awful. It’s the latter.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Excerpt: “I have no idea what just happened?”
Finding Vivian Maier
For a Woman
- Excerpt: A historical drama pieced together when two sisters discover things they didn’t know about their parents’ life in post-World War II France.
For No Good Reason
- Excerpt: In those occasions wherein Paul shows us Steadman at work, it would be both insulting and apt to compare his process to a magic act. As with an illusionist’s performance, you can watch everything he does with a careful eye and still have no idea how he got to the breathtaking result.
God’s Not Dead
- Excerpt: I did not hate God’s Not Dead, and while I see its flaws I can also extend a little grace.
A Haunted House 2
- Excerpt: [A] flaccid frightfest of so-called cheap chuckles. One can immediately detect a desperate sense of regurgitation in the strained chuckles as A Haunted House 2 has all the inspired hilarity of a decaying fang inside a drugged Dracula’s mouth.
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
Need for Speed
Next Goal Wins
Nymphomaniac: Volumes 1 & 2
Only Lovers Left Alive
The Other Woman
The Quiet Ones
- Excerpt: There is nothing for us to chew on when it’s over. The Sacrament is content to give us a cavalcade of horrors but no catharsis.
Walking with the Enemy
- Excerpt: Stirring but heavy-handed depiction of W.W. II heroism in Hungary
2013 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
Hammer of the Gods
The House That Jack Built
Night Train to Lisbon
- Excerpt: Tren de noche a Lisboa tiene una primera parte muy mala, porque está llena de cosas inverosímiles (y la historia del autor está demasiado fragmentada como para que llegue a interesarte), y una segunda mitad muchísimo más interesante, por lo que me parece que casi, casi es una buena película.
2014 Films (Coming Soon)
- Excerpt: Canopy is writer/director Aaron Wilson’s first-person take on the sensory experience of being lost at war.
- Excerpt: A superb tribute that will leave Roger Ebert fans delighted and inspired. Thumbs Up.
The Truth About Beauty
- Excerpt: Mainland beauty Bai Baihe makes a likeable, if rather implausible, lead in Aubrey Lam’s cosmetic surgery rom-com, but her endearing central performance can only obscure some of the thematic inconsistencies in a muddled, though occasionally funny screenplay.