Our critics have been hard at work reviewing the latest films. Here is a look at what’s coming out this weekend (in select cities, check your local listings) and what else may be in theaters right now.
Opening: Aug. 8-10, 2014
Wide (United States)
The Hundred-Foot Journey
Into the Storm
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Limited (United States)
Deepsea Challenge 3D
- Excerpt: Wojtowicz’s story is fascinating, but the flaw of a documentary with one predominant voice is bias smothers the filmmakers’ intention of burrowing under the surface.
Fifi Howls from Happiness
- Excerpt: A documentary about an arrogant and weird Iranian artist living in exile in Rome.
- Excerpt: This an extraordinarily singular work about an extraordinary man, both elegiac and rapturous.
- Excerpt: Another shot fired across the bow at Hollywood’s attempt to kill the romantic comedy genre, “What If” may veer uncomfortably close into some too cutesy moments and scatological bad taste, but it always manages to right itself, buoyed by its charming star pairing of Radcliffe and Kazan.
2014 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
22 Jump Street
At the Devil’s Door
- Excerpt: More than ‘Fargo’ meets ‘Se7ven’ … Sarandon’s portrayal of the surly small-town police chief is so nuanced and assured we’d welcome a Hazel Micallef franchise.
Come Back to Me
Get on Up
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Kill Team
Life After Beth
Louder Than Words
- Excerpt: The “Inspired by a True Story” credit slapped over the opening images would suggest that writer Benjamin Chapin and director Anthony Fabian intend this as a respectful account, but the 1995 tragedy that claimed Maria Fareri’s life could do far better than this tepid, confusing, and sometimes downright bizarre retelling.
Magic in the Moonlight
Making the Rules
A Most Wanted Man
The Purge: Anarchy
Video Games: The Movie
- Excerpt: Despite the cheerleading, Snead does manage to deliver a genuinely comprehensive and sometimes insightful portrait of gaming. The film celebrates the innovation, creativity and artistry that goes into games.
2013 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
José Arce @ LaButaca.net [Spanish]
- Excerpt: Jason Statham no sostiene por sí solo una película bastante pobre en todos los aspectos. Los escasos pasajes de acción y la turulata relación entre James Franco y Winona Ryder son los únicos elementos reseñables de una propuesta a olvidar.
2014 Films (Coming Soon)
- Excerpt: Birds of a feather laugh together!
The Magic Voice of a Rebel
- Excerpt: In the late 1960s, at the height of the Prague Spring, singer Marta Kubišová was one of Czechoslovakia’s greatest talents, touring France with Václav Neckár and Helena Vondrácková as one of the Golden Kids: pop producer Bohuslav Ondrácek’s answer to the kind of bubbly music sensations that had been dominating Western culture but were potentially dangerous commodities under the communist regime.
Thou Wast Mild and Lovely
- Excerpt: This appealing little blast of 1980s John Hughes nostalgia comes from one of the unlikeliest places: Parádne pokecal (titled Totally Talking in English), the debut feature from writer-director and FAMU graduate Tomáš Pavlícek, might be another Czech comedy-drama, but it’s as far removed from what has become the prototypical Czech dramedy as possible.
Ukraine Is Not a Brothel
Samuel Castro @ Ochoymedio.info [Spanish]
- Excerpt: Otra historia de la Segunda Guerra Mundial que a pesar de ser terrible, no consigue transmitirnos las emociones implicadas en el hecho.