OFCS members don’t just write film reviews. Here are several articles you might find interesting.
Best of Lists
10 Best Bond Girls
- Excerpt: Tiffany Case is unique in that she’s about the only Bond Girl who appears to be having a good time.
10 Worst Bond Girls
- Excerpt: Here’s proof positive that one can have a provocative name and have a simply terrible Bond Girl (although I don’t see what’s so provocative about the name Holly).
The Films of 2012: Ranked and Reviewed
Luke Bonanno @ DVDizzy.com
- Excerpt: Why would you try to rank 140 films that are overwhelmingly dissimilar? Who does that?!
Crowdfunding, Kickstarter, Soft Gun
Mathieu Li-Goyette @ Panorama-cinéma [French]
David Petrarca (Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire)
Glasgow on screen: Nicola Balkind on her new book about the cinema-loving city
Melissa Young: Urban Renewal, Detroit-Style
- Excerpt: Interview with documentary filmmaker Melissa Young about her new film “We Are Not Ghosts”
Gebo and the Shadow
50 Films That Changed The World
Phil Hall @ FilmSnobbery.com
- Excerpt: A celebration of the films that had a profound impact on the film world and the wider society
A A Look at the Oscar-Nominated Best Foreign Language Film, ‘War Witch’
( At Least) Eight Questions About Silver Linings Playbook
Cinema Sight’s 17th Anniversary Announcement
- Excerpt: Celebrating 17 years on the internet.
Die Hard Quadrilogy
Marcio Sallem @ Em Cartaz [Portuguese]
Feb. 19 Blu-ray/DVD releases
Going underground – GFF days 4 & 5: James D’Arcy, daleks and the secret of the subway.
A Good Day to Die Hard’ Is a Bad Day for John McClane and the ‘Die Hard’ Franchise
James Franco Teams with Vanessa Hudgens and Selena Gomez for a “Girls Gone Wild” Video by the Name of ‘Spring Breakers’
Marvels of Mars – GFF days 6 & 7: Steve Niles, Steven Sterlacchini, Alex Salmond and the terrors of the deep.
Poverty Porn, Cold Narratives, and the Appreciation of Life in 2012 Film (Motifs in Cinema)
- Excerpt: Specifically, audiences were fascinated to watch the many stories which showed how certain characters lived their daily lives under unimaginable duress, or in a somehow unorthodox way that doesn’t compare to what we’ve seen or been exposed to in past films.
Paulo Peralta @ CinEuphoria [Portuguese]
- Excerpt: Spanish Short Film Review
True north – GFF Days 2 & 3: Nick Higgins, James Cosmo, Billy Connolly and (not) dying at the end.
William E. Jones: “Killed” at the St. Louis Art Museum
- Excerpt: The most immediately striking aspect of William E. Jones‘ 2009 video Killed is the extent to which it fascinates on purely aesthetic grounds, quite apart from any appreciation of its contents’ origins.