Our critics have been hard at work reviewing the latest films. Here is a look at what’s coming out this weekend (in select cities, check your local listings) and what else may be in theaters right now.
Opening: Feb. 26-28, 2016
Wide (United States)
Eddie the Eagle
Gods of Egypt
Limited (United States)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny
- Excerpt: Michelle Yeoh reprises her role as lovelorn warrior Shu Lien this belated sequel to Ang Lee’s worldwide smash hit wuxia drama, directed by Hong Kong action legend Yuen Wo-ping.
The Last Man on the Moon
- Excerpt: A superb documentary that helps us to imagine what it was like to be an astronaut and to walk on the moon.
- Excerpt: Spellbinding! A vital, wondrous piece of history is beautifully preserved.
2015 & 2016 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
The 5th Wave
The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
The Brothers Grimsby
- Excerpt: … a lean, rugged addition to the warrior princess subgenre … Bell once again metes out swift justice to men who badly underestimate her capacity to crack spines …
Contracted: Phase 2
- Excerpt: Works much better than expected, considering it largely disregards the ideas that made its predecessor so interesting.
A Country Called Home
- Excerpt: Lacks the clear vision to know how to distinguish itself from a hundred other similar movies.
- Excerpt: Demolition, man.
- Excerpt: Chen Sicheng follows up romantic anthology Beijing Love Story (2014) with this high-energy crime caper in which a down-at-heel detective in Bangkok’s Chinatown goes on the run after being implicated in a murder-robbery case.
Embrace of the Serpent
- Excerpt: A serpent is a slithery, spectacular thing.
The Finest Hours
The Hateful Eight
- Excerpt: The (High-)Rise and Fall…
Knight of Cups
Marco Albanese @ Stanze di Cinema [Italian]
- Excerpt: L’ultimo dei grandi maestri degli anni ’70, il più isolato e schivo, il più geloso della propria privacy, continua a stupire.
Kumiko, The Treasure Hunter
Kung Fu Panda 3
The Lady in the Van
Listen to Me Marlon
Mojin: The Lost Legend
- Excerpt: After breaking box office records in China with his 2012 film, Painted Skin: The Resurrection, director Wuershan returns with the star-studded fantasy adventure Mojin – The Lost Legend, which follows a team of expert tomb raiders in search of a mythical stone that grants eternal life. Chen Kun, Shu Qi and Huang Bo star as the legendary “Mojin Xiaowei” adventurers, whose centuries-old team retires after Bayi (Chen) sees a hallucination of his long-dead first love while on a mission.
The Monkey King 2
- Excerpt: Cheang Pou-soi’s sequel to his own 2014 monster hit ($168m in China alone) is a considerably more coherent and assured production, boasting slick visuals and spirited central performances from Aaron Kwok and Gong Li.
Mountains May Depart
- Excerpt: In Mr Six, an ailing, retired gangster returns to the fray after a group of rich-kid punks kidnap his teenage son. Feng Xiaogang, the blockbuster director of The Banquet, Aftershock and If You Are the One, steps in front of the camera to play the anti-hero, venting the frustrations of his generation in the process.
My All American
Norm of the North
Our Brand Is Crisis
João Pinto @ Portal Cinema [Portuguese]
Ride Along 2
Rock the Kasbah
Secret in Their Eyes
- Excerpt: Review of the Canadian animated feature.
Son of Saul
Straight Outta Compton
- Excerpt: Opening with a busload of schoolgirls being violently sheared in half by a malevolent wind, Sion Sono’s Tag certainly gets off to a promising start. But the provocative Japanese auteur soon finds himself wallowing in lurid exploitation and unpleasant misogyny.
Touched with Fire
Where to Invade Next
- Excerpt: A film taken with the singular American delusion that Jesus loves football… though it also throws in a new delusion: Jesus hates the U.S. Constitution.
Alan Mattli @ Maximum Cinema [German]
- Excerpt: It’s funny, surprisingly dark at times, and very timely. While it may not be quite up there with ‘Tangled’ and ‘Big Hero 6’, ‘Zootopia’ is a laudably mature effort from Disney.
2016 Films (Coming Soon)
2 Nights TIll Morning
- Excerpt: Marie-Josée Croze gives her best performance since ‘The Barbarian Invasions’
The Evil That Men Do
Diego Salgado @ Guía del Ocio [Spanish]
- Excerpt: No matter where you go, the universe is a total jerk.
La La La at Rock Bottom
- Excerpt: Director Nobuhiro Yamashita, who scored a massive hit with Linda Linda Linda, delivers another musically fuelled comedy drama about a young hoodlum who finds his voice fronting a traditional pop band.
- Excerpt: Stephen Chow Sing-chi infuses his latest romantic comedy with a powerful ecological message, as a beautiful young mermaid is tasked with seducing the rich tycoon who is destroying her ocean home.
The Truth Commissioner
- Excerpt: You can’t handle the truth commissioner…