Our critics have been hard at work reviewing the latest films. Here is a look at what’s coming out this weekend (in select cities, check your local listings) and what else may be in theaters right now.
Opening: October 3-5, 2014
Wide (United States)
Limited (United States)
The Blue Room
- Excerpt: It’s depiction of an adulterous affair is icy, complicated, isolating, but it’s a thrillingly and strikingly photographed film.
- Excerpt: A chilling and creatively structure French murder mystery tale.
The Good Lie
- Excerpt: An emotionally warm and immensely appealing story of the immigrant experience of some survivors of the 1980s genocide in Sudan.
- Excerpt: Sensitive and sincere, it’s an inspiring, redemptive tale of courage and compassion.
Men, Women & Children
- Excerpt: I didn’t like this movie when it was called “Disconnect,” and cowriter/director Jason Reitman’s (“Juno,” “Labor Day”) adaptation of Chad Kultgen’s novel lays on pretension masquerading as deep thought for an even less convincing mix
Nas: Time Is Illmatic
- Excerpt: An engaging document of how – and, more importantly, why – this particular album had such an impact.
- Excerpt: Nas: Time Is Illmatic, a look at the influential album twenty years later, doesn’t feel like the complete account that some may want, but it is a sharp and entertainment profile of an important artist.
2014 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
ABCs of Death 2
Days and Nights
- Excerpt: though more often than not, this is simply another tedious glimpse of familial dysfunction, relocated to the heart of a WASP’s nest.
The Decent One
The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby
Paulo Peralta @ CinEuphoria [Portuguese]
The Heart Machine
Hector and the Search for Happiness
- Excerpt: Kind of a mess.
Jimi: All Is By My Side
Life of Riley
- Excerpt: A French comedy of manners in which various couples try to cope with middle-age disappointments and mediocre marriages.
- Excerpt: An emotionally moving British drama about a young gay man’s compassion.
The Maze Runner
- Excerpt: The old man and the sea…
The Ninth Cloud
- Excerpt: The freedom from a conventional, unified plot allows us to focus on the essential darkness of THE NOTEBOOK’s individual episodes.
- Excerpt: Ingeniously structured, masterfully executed, and enormously entertaining.
The Skeleton Twins
Space Station 76
- Excerpt: If a blackly comic Todd Solondz drama copulated with the ’70s television series “Space: 1999,” “Space Station 76” would be the bundle of joy.
Stephen King’s A Good Marriage
- Excerpt: A major disappointment – a dull, lifeless chiller that botches a rather brilliant premise.
The Supreme Price
- Excerpt: Inspiring.
This Is Where I Leave You
To Be Takei
The Town That Dreaded Sundown
The Two Faces of January
Two Night Stand
- Excerpt: Two members of the Millennial generation trying to figure out the formula for intimacy.
- Excerpt: Modestly charming and even perceptive.
A Walk Among the Tombstones
2013 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
2014 Films (Coming Soon)
Diego Salgado @ Guía del Ocio [Spanish]
For Those in Peril
- Excerpt: Wright’s visually arresting debut is often a poetically charged portrait of a pariah in an emotional wasteland of a community’s dismissive cruelty. –
- Excerpt: Open-nerve documentary about “Community” creator Dan Harmon’s chaotic live podcast tour after being fired from his own TV show is sometimes raggedly funny, but truly a fans-only artifact.
- Excerpt: You need not be a resident of Harmontown to enjoy Harmontown, but it certainly helps.
Heaven Knows What
- Excerpt: The downward ride of two self-destructive heroin addicts living on the mean streets of New York City.
Hwayi: A Monster Boy
- Excerpt: The Liberator is a nicely framed, highly romanticized, and undeniably dry portrait of a revolutionary.
The Mole Song: Undercover Agent Reiji
The Princess of France
- Excerpt: A playful look at romantic dalliances by an inventive Argentinian writer and director.
- Excerpt: A spiritually powerful critique of Islamic fundamentalism and the havoc it causes in Timbuktu in 2012.
- Excerpt: The coming-of-age of a young girl in Italy as a hard worker and a resilient person.