Our critics have been hard at work reviewing the latest films. Here is a look at what’s coming out this weekend (in select cities, check your local listings) and what else may be in theaters right now.
Opening: May 30-Jun. 1, 2014
Wide (United States)
A Million Ways to Die in the West
Limited (United States)
The Grand Seduction
- Excerpt: Just as good as the original, eh?
2014 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
Cold in July
- Excerpt: … the most eccentric crime saga since ‘Killing Them Softly’ … edgy, suspenseful, cathartic … provides Sam Shepard with his juiciest role in far too long.
- Excerpt: With the actors so in command of their space, Mickle is freed to take the crime-fiction plotline and put it through a John Carpenter food processor.
Edge of Tomorrow
José Arce @ LaButaca.net [Spanish]
- Excerpt: Estruendoso vehículo anual de lucimiento de Tom Cruise que propone un buen aspecto visual, claro, pero que se asienta sobre uno de los argumentos más endebles de los últimos años. Casi doscientos millones de presupuesto, sí señor.
- Excerpt: It’s a testament to the film’s balance of slickly executed action, engaging cast and moments of welcome humour that even the many logical inconsistencies can’t derail the enjoyment of it.
- Excerpt: Welcome to the world of tomorrow…
Gebo and the Shadow
- Excerpt: By the time its sudden conclusion hits you with the sort of multivalent power that we’ve come to expect from Oliveira’s seemingly offhand endings, the film’s questions are evident.
- Excerpt: Slow-paced and sinister, it’s a strangely unpredictable period piece that penetrates the soft underbelly illusion of the American experience.
- Excerpt: UK helmer Lovering tightens the screws the old-fashioned way, through atmospher and suggestion … (It) possesses a bleakly funny Pinter-esque quality.
- Excerpt: “Losing LeBron” is an effective documentary about the devastation the plagued the citizens of Cleveland, Ohio when it’s favorite son decided to abandon The Caveliers and join up with the Miami Heat through free agency. But it’s really about the psychology of a city that really never seemed to have a sense of pride even before LeBron became its hero.
- Excerpt: ‘Mirage Men’ tells a story about paranoid UFO conspiracy theorists and the various ways the US government made them that way.
Walk of Shame
Vadym Grygoriev @ kinoblog.com [Ukrainian]
X-Men: Days of Future Past
2013 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
2014 Films (Coming Soon)
Gangster of Love
Dragan Antulov @ Draxblog VI [Croatian]
Diego Salgado @ Diagonal [Spanish]
Standing Aside, Watching
- Excerpt: ‘Standing Aside, Watching’ is a slow-burn Greek thriller that is especially important in the light of recent events.
- Excerpt: It may not be Clint Eastwood, but the ‘Unforgiven’ remake stands on its own merits.
- Excerpt: If you don’t know what you’re getting into by buying a ticket to a ‘Zombeavers,’ you deserve to have your mind blown.