Our critics have been hard at work reviewing the latest films. Here is a look at what’s coming out this weekend (in select cities, check your local listings) and what else may be in theaters right now.
Opening: Jul. 18-20, 2014
Wide (United States)
Planes: Fire & Rescue
The Purge: Anarchy
Limited (United States)
- Excerpt: An extraordinary documentary about the healing power of music as medicine for the soul.
- Excerpt: A spiritual movie about the eyes, science, reincarnation, and the great mysteries of life.
- Excerpt: …a bunch of mumbo jumbo parading as deep thought, a concept in search of a movie.
- Excerpt: Breathtaking imagery and heaps of whimsical charm, but is often exhausting at the same time.
Video Games: The Movie
Wish I Was Here
- Excerpt: Braff has made a coming of age saga for a grown man. It works in part, his central theme a good one, but his more puerile filmmaking tendencies weaken its impact. Hudson, however, is excellent, the most mature element of a too fanciful film.
- Excerpt: Wish I Was Here is a vanity project trying to recapture the same themes, but Braff is no longer adrift
Frank Swietek @ One Guys Opinion
- Excerpt: Never becomes anything more than an enemic sit-com leavened with heavy-handed doses of mawkishness. ‘Wish I Was Here’ will make you wish you weren’t.
2014 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
22 Jump Street
- Excerpt: A total gong show of terrible acting. Even Marion Cotillard doesn’t get off easy in this review…
Cold in July
- Excerpt: ‘The Congress’ fails to deliver on its initial promise.
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Deliver Us from Evil
Earth to Echo
The Fault in Our Stars
- Excerpt: An uneven but entertaining look at the animal in all of us.
Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania
Me and You
- Excerpt: A coming-of-age drama about a boy whose dream of being alone is shattered when his older half-sister brings him back to messy reality.
The Scarecrow Club
- Excerpt: The enthusiasm is there in this Ottawa-made political thriller, but the thrills and political stuff, less so.
- Excerpt: Puzzling and implausibly fractious, it requires interminable patience and forgiveness.
Transformers: Age of Extinction
Venus in Fur
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Yves Saint Laurent
- Excerpt: a shallow, cliched biopic treatment from…Jalil Lespert. Niney is incredibly well matched physically to Saint Laurent but it is Gallienne who creates the more memorable character here
- Excerpt: If YVES SAINT LAURENT is frustrating as a barely fleshed out biography, it is equally exciting as a sumptuous visual feast.
2013 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
Battle of the Year
In a World…
2014 Films (Coming Soon)
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
Diego Salgado @ Guía del Ocio [Spanish]
Antarctica: A Year on Ice
- Excerpt: Powell’s picture is the ultimate insider’s journal, intent on expressing the “Antarctic life” as it is actually lived.
Días de vinilo
Samuel Castro @ Ochoymedio.info [Spanish]
- Excerpt: Cuatro amigos en Buenos Aires, relacionados con la música, intentan sobrevivir a la crisis de la mediana edad.
Hungry Ghost Ritual
- Excerpt: Nick Cheung follows a string of critical and commercial hits with his debut as writer-director, a seasonal horror flick in which he also takes the leading role. While Cheung has a keen eye for detail when it comes to the traditions associated with the Hungry Ghost Festival, his scripting is flimsy and cliched while his direction lacks atmosphere or genuine chills.