Our critics have been hard at work reviewing the latest films. Here is a look at what’s coming out this weekend (in select cities, check your local listings) and what else may be in theaters right now.
Opening: Apr. 18-20, 2014
Wide (United States)
Heaven Is for Real
Limited (United States)
- Excerpt: As a dark and twisted, occasionally tense and cringe-worthy morality-cum-conspiracy ride, “13 Sins” holds one’s interest throughout. Alas, writer-director Stamm and co-writer David Birke push their gimmick so far, while softening the blow in their resolution, that the film jumps the rails.
2014 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
- Excerpt: Found footage and vampires are two of the most tired trends in film, so what could possibly go wrong by combining them?
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
- Excerpt: Calvary is an interesting mood piece and a fascinating examination of the state of the Church and of faith in Ireland today, but it really needs some of its own ideas.
Donald Levit @ ReelTalk Movie Reviews
Frank Swietek @ One Guys Opinion
- Excerpt: Too mild for its own good, a formulaic ‘worm turns’ story that doesn’t take full advantage of its dance milieu.
- Excerpt: Truth is indeed stranger than fiction, even in the hands of a master filmmaker like Atom Egoyan.
- Excerpt: A touching drama based on a short story by Alice Munro about a housekeeper who takes a leap of faith.
- Excerpt: A successful post-“Bridesmaids” vehicle for Kristen Wiig and a sensitive, moving delayed-coming-of-age story about the longing to be loved and losing sight of one’s own happiness to take care of others.
Island of Lemurs: Madagascar
- Excerpt: Enchanting and educational, delivering its ecological mesage about conservation in a most delightful way.
The Last of the Unjust
- Excerpt: A glimpse into the horrific life of an unlikely statesman chosen to destroy his people.
- Excerpt: While imperfect on several levels, “The Machine” is an ambitious project that has a slick production design and solid special effects. In some respects, it actually goes farther than a typical production would that came out of the large studio system.
Nymphomaniac: Volumes 1 & 2
Only Lovers Left Alive
- Excerpt: Trouble in Boson City but the spunky brainiacs of the Hadron Collider right the ship and identify the illusive link to the beginning of the universe.
The Raid 2: Berandal
The Railway Man
- Excerpt: Almost entirely ignores the amazing aspect of this true story that makes it worth telling, and even the very good performances point us in another direction than the intended one.
Under the Skin
Wolf Creek 2
- Excerpt: Discerning horror fans with trepidation about a sequel coming nine years after its predecessor should fear not, as “Wolf Creek 2,” once again, aims for the jugular, the gut, and the spine. We learned what a real knife looked like, and now, this is a knife that’s almost nearly as sharp.
2013 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
Blue Is the Warmest Color
Ernest & Celestine
2014 Films (Coming Soon)
Afternoon of a Faun
- Excerpt: A fascinating story of American ballet and one of the greatest ballerinas in the world.
Here Be Dragons
- Excerpt: For everything that doesn’t work, there will be a moment, an insight, an idea that will be beautiful, powerful or will change the way you look at and think about life, art and the world.