Here are some reviews of films coming out at the theater this week as well as others that may be in theaters or newly on home video.
Wide (United States)
Limited (United States)
- Excerpt: British actress Romola Garai springs out of the gate with an inspired feminist folk horror tale… a morality play eerily tricked out in unnerving genre trappings.
- Excerpt: Amulet is a cool, stylish chiller whose themes sneak up on you.
Yes, God, Yes
- Excerpt: …it is Dyer’s talent with expressive facial reactions, especially those of the naively clueless variety, that is the film’s biggest asset.
- Excerpt: A typical teenage coming-of-age tale where an impressionable, young woman experiences a stuttering sexual awakening. The twist is the awakening occurs smack in the middle of Jesus camp.
2020 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
Color Out of Space
John Lewis: Good Trouble
The Old Guard
- Excerpt: I finished Blessed Child feeling like I only knew half of Cara Jones’s story when it came to her escaping the cult in which she was raised. She does, however, document with a raw openness and vulnerability her desperate attempt to keep her family even as she walks away from the religion that they still hold dear.
- Excerpt: celebrates four vibrant octo and nonagenarians recounting their upbringing, education and careers all framed by the various cities that shaped them and those that felt their influence.
- Excerpt: Though repetition dampens the chills, FATAL AFFAIR boasts a few thrills. Too many cuts to ocean waves., yet acting almost this film saves.
- Excerpt: Writers…employ the much-used “Local Hero” template for their fictionalized true story and yet director Chris Foggin, blessed with a strong cast, keeps the twee at bay with genuine good heart and strong characterizations.
Judy & Punch
- Excerpt: “That’s the way to do it”
- Excerpt: Is it so unbelievable to think Palm Springs might be one of the best movies of 2020? Nope.
- Excerpt: The pacing is sluggish.
- Excerpt: Director Marjane Satrapi asks why male scientists are allowed to be troubled and awkward while female intellectuals are denied the same courtesy.
The Sunlit Night
- Excerpt: Rich in gorgeous cinematography that makes a grey landscape as dazzling as primary colors, and quietly complex performances that reveal unspoken volumes