Here are some reviews of films coming out at the theater this week as well as others that may be in theaters or newly on home video.
2019 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
Angel Has Fallen
Blinded by the Light
Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood
Ready or Not
47 Meters Down: Uncaged
- Excerpt: 47 Meters Down: Uncaged is summer movie junk food: it’s not nutritious, but you will enjoy snacking on its empty calories as much as sharks enjoy snacking on empty-headed divers.
- Excerpt: Cultural clashes in factories.
Brittany Runs A Marathon
- Excerpt: Brittany’s arc from drunken party girl to lonely island to trying to maintain life balance like the rest of us is what will most likely connect this Sundance-winner with audiences looking to root for an example of someone who confronts the worst, running and self improvement, and comes out the other side.
Bunuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles
- Excerpt: I would advise anyone planning on seeing this film to see Land without Bread first, and then see how Bunuel and company created some of the more dramatic images.
- Excerpt: John Travolta throws a lot into his performance, but the film is simply a thin and unpleasant experience.
- Excerpt: Fred Durst’s film is a deeply unnerving look at 21st-century fandom.
- Excerpt: The film’s technical and performance merits are hard to reconcile with its detestable premise.
The Great Hack
Dragan Antulov @ Draxblog VI [Croatian]
Raise Hell: The Life and Times of Molly Ivins
- Excerpt: Thought-provoking documentary on the journalist whose humor challenged government incompetence and social injustices.
The Front Runner
- Excerpt: …plays, more than anything, like a calling card for lead Andréa Winter, who is only competent as an actress but who has movie star looks and a fiery sex appeal stoked by her eagerness to frequently disrobe.
- Excerpt: Leaves us with bleak images that are still haunting even if the Yugoslavian conflict is now all but forgotten for most people not living in the Balkans.