OFCS members don’t just write film reviews. Here are several articles you might find interesting.
Listen to the Canadian Screen Nominees for Original Song
- Excerpt: Audio of all five nominated songs at the Canadian Screen Awards.
Mommy’, ‘Tu Dors Nicole’ and Xavier Dolan Lead the Nominations for Quebec’s Prix Jutra
- Excerpt: Nominations honouring the best in Quebecois cinema.
Oscar Preview: Precursor Winners & Losers, Week 9
- Excerpt: Looking at the winners and losers from the ninth week of Precursor Season.
Best of Lists
List: Top Documentary Recommendations – Part Two
- Excerpt: The second part of my on-going feature highlighting some of the best film documentaries around, across a range of categories.
Thanks for Noticing, Golden Guy: Top Ten Oscar-Nominated Actor Acknowledgements
That’s Good Enough, Short Stuff: Top Ten Films Featuring Little People
You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling: Top Ten Tragic Lovers in the Movies
Brenton Thwaites – Son of a Gun
Colin Firth – Kingsman: The Secret Service
Dan Heath, Composer of the “Big Eyes” Song
David Heyman, Producer of “Paddington”
George Lopez and Carlos PenaVega of “Spare Parts”
George Lopez and Carlos PenaVega of “Spare Parts
Matthew Vaughn – Kingsman: The Secret Service
Meredith Anne Bull of “Strange Magic”
Nancy Spielberg and Roberta Grossman on “Above and Beyond”
Sofia Boutella and Sophie Cookson – Kingsman: The Secret Service
Star, director of ‘Black or White’ come to Detroit, red carpet and interview
Taron Egerton – Kingsman: The Secret Service
TURBO KID Directors Talk Influences, Working as a Hive Mind & Michael Ironside!
The Americans: ARPANET
- Excerpt: ARPANET continues the solid The Americans tradition of simply strong, solid performances, and this time, it’s Annet Mahendru who is the star of the episode. ARPANET is Mahendru’s finest hour as Nina.
The Americans: Behind the Red Door
- Excerpt: The Americans has given us violent moments, but in Behind the Red Door, we see violence not in a physical sense, but an emotional one. On a certain level, almost all the characters are tortured or torturing themselves, and work is no respite for what haunts them.
The Americans: Echo
- Excerpt: In many respects, Echo is still the brilliant Americans episode we’ve come to expect from them. In others, I found it bizarre if not downright nonsensical.
The Americans: Martial Eagle
- Excerpt: In Martial Eagle, I think Matthew Rhys has given the greatest performance in The Americans of the season, an already extraordinary accomplishment given just how good he’s been throughout all the series.
The Americans: New Car
- Excerpt: New Car is one where we see the dynamic of this atypical marriage, and see that sometimes being a parent is actually harder than being a spy.
The Americans: Operation Chronicle
- Excerpt: Given how excellent and intense The Americans has been, I was a bit surprised to find Operation Chronicle a bit more quiet. However, given that the season finale is up next, perhaps this is the calm before the storm.
The Americans: Season Two Overview
- Excerpt: The Americans is the most emotionally conflicting show on television.
The Americans: Stealth
- Excerpt: We have a mix of the mundane and the murderous in Stealth, with the highlight being the intense face-off between Kate and Larrick. Stealth continues to show just how good The Americans is, a mixture of intense spy serial and domestic drama …
The Americans: The Deal
The Americans: Yousaf
- Excerpt: Parallels are a dominating theme in Yousaf, where we see the characters match their lives so inadvertently.
Franklin & Bash: Big Fish
- Excerpt: Big Fish shows that when the characters were allowed to have semi-functioning brains, Franklin & Bash could be both irreverent and reasonable. Would that the show kept that going rather than insist it was the lead’s combined stupidity rather than their friendship that was the big draw.
Franklin & Bash: Franklin vs. Bash
- Excerpt: Franklin vs. Bash might be a good idea, but it is so badly executed and has a subplot similarly stupid that it is the first real failure of the season. Granted, there would be more to come, but that is for the future.
Franklin & Bash: You Can’t Take It With You
- Excerpt: You Can’t Take It With You has positives and negatives that show that Franklin & Bash could be good or bad depending on what road it took.
The Librarians: And the Fables of Doom
- Excerpt: And the Fables of Doom went by a bit too quickly and I think resolved things too quickly, but we got to see another fun story that played with both magic and the characters. We also got a small but impressive turn by guest star Rene Auberjonois, whom I would like to make a return appearance, but more on that later.
The Librarians: And the Heart of Darkness
- Excerpt: It’s nice to see the cast of The Librarians work so well together and keep things exciting and entertaining without being too frightening.
The Librarians: And the Rule of Three
- Excerpt: And the Rule of Three is I think the best Librarians episode so far. What I really enjoyed about And the Power of Three was that it has wonderful moments of comedy, of action, and even of romance.
Sherlock: The Complete Third Season
- Excerpt: Somewhere along the line, Sherlock, a show that is hailed by Sherlockians and critics as this brilliant work of intellectual television, slipped into fantasy and farce. The three episodes of the third season…were uneven and in some case so wildly outlandish that only the most fierce Sherlockian would hold them as ‘the Citizen Kane of television’.
Carl Dreyer: Master of the Cinema House
Reviews of Short Films
Lo Smalto Nero
Paulo Peralta @ CinEuphoria [Portuguese]
- Excerpt: Italian Short Film Review
6 Big Reasons To Go See Big Hero 6
- Excerpt: As Big Hero 6 finally hits UK cinemas, I take a look at 6 big reasons to go see the film.
Early Roles for This Year’s Oscar Nominees
- Excerpt: With the Oscars fast approaching once more, I take a look at some of the earliest roles for this year’s Oscar nominees.
Kristen Recasts the Classics: Strangers on a Train
- Excerpt: David Fincher and Ben Affleck are already attached, but I give a few alternative suggestions.