OFCS members don’t just write film reviews. Here are several articles you might find interesting.
Best of Lists
10 Best Bond Villains
- Excerpt: #4. While much has been written about the negatives in (the film), I have yet to hear anything negative about Francisco Scaramanga, the titled Man With the Golden Gun.
10 Worst Bond Villains
- Excerpt: #7. It’s exactly like the Joker sans makeup.
The top 10 Australian films of 2012
The Top 10 Original Movie Songs of 2012
Ed Burns on the Fitzgerald Family Christmas
- Excerpt: After 15 years away, the actor/writer/director is returning home for a story about an Irish-American family like his own and he does so as an unlikely pioneer of filmmaking in the digital age.
Interviews with directors of ‘Burn’, the Detroit-based firefighter documentary
Milestone Films Co-Founder Dennis Doros on Crowdsourcing the Restoration for Shirley Clarke’s “Portrait of Jason”
- Excerpt: Ahead of its time when it was first released, this nonfiction character study of an African-American hustler who slowly loses his inhibitions as the camera rolls to reveal what he really thinks during the 1960s hopes to be a beneficiary of a pioneering crowdsourcing effort.
Making Waves: New Romanian Cinema Brings Some of the Best of Contemporary and Classic Romanian Films to NYC
2016 Deserves an Oscar Nomination Says Director of “2016”
- Excerpt: It’s bad enough that he’s whining about being snubbed, but by trashing other directors’ films (especially the brilliant This is Not a Film), he has reached a new low.
Oscar Preview: Precursor Winners & Losers, Week 1
- Excerpt: Reviewing what’s coming from Oscar Precursors in Week 2 and highlighting the big winners and losers from Week 1.
12/4 DVD/Blu-ray releases
A Batch of Gloomy Images Surfaces from the Upcoming Film “Les Misérables”
- Excerpt: You might have heard a little about the latest Hollywood reincarnation that’s garnering lots o’ buzz across cyberspace and beyond, the beautiful mood killer Les Misérables.
- Excerpt: Here are some of the best films that have tried to plumb the depths of the human mind under assault, chart a course to recovery, and, in the process, offer some talented performers the kinds of roles that get noticed around Oscar season.
Great Movie Gifts
- Excerpt: Film critics Nell Minow and A.J. Hakari discuss great holiday gifts for movie fans.
Lenny Kravitz as Marvin Gaye and the State of Black Biopics on Today’s “Cinema in Noir”
- Excerpt: And all we have to say on Cinema in Noir is the only things those two have in common are the fact that they are/were revered recording artists. the end.
Men in Black 3
No Concessions: Fall Report Card
- Excerpt: Grading Killing Them Softly, Skyfall, Lincoln, and other fall releases
Number one with a bullet: Assassins in the movies
- Excerpt: A tour through a very special employment agency and picked out the top-rated specialists in this exclusive field from the past 60 or so years. They don’t kill for love or hate or fun. These are the best of a breed that treats death as a business…
The Portraits of Daniel Day-Lewis
- Excerpt: Here are ten of his most committed performances, and the stories behind the incarnations.
TraversWatch: It’s Time To End This! – Part 2
- Excerpt: Our argument continues to prove that those paying attention to ads know that a quote from Travers is its own joke. Any more that looks exciting or half-way interesting immediately takes a step away from a potential viewer when they see his hacky prose copied from his limited vocabulary.