OFCS members don’t just write film reviews. Here are several articles you might find interesting.
Best of Lists
The top 10 Amy Adams performances
Top 20 Czech Animators, Pt. 1
- Excerpt: Interview with The Police guitarist about the autobiographical documentary Can’t Stop Losing You: Surviving The Police.
Julia Loktev On How Tough Shoot For ‘The Loneliest Planet’ Was Both a Blessing and a Curse
Paul Thomas Anderson (The Master)
Rick Alverson on Warming Up to the “Uncomfortable Cinema” of “The Comedy”
- Excerpt: On the eve of its release, the writer/director talks about making the searing Tim Heidecker-starring character study of a self-involved instigator, how it’s divided audiences and the disconnect between ideals and reality.
A Starlet is Born: Besedka Johnson’s 86-Year Journey to the Big Screen
- Excerpt: A teenage dream for a Hollywood native became a reality when she was plucked from obscurity to play a starring role in Sean Baker’s much buzzed about drama about a cross-generational friendship.
AFI Fest 2012 Round-Up (Part 1)
- Excerpt: I mean it as no overstatement to say that I was positively ecstatic to discover that the festival would be running during my stay in Los Angeles and that it was, without trickery or fine print, completely free.
Oscar Predictions, 10/29/2012
Oscar Preview: Weekend of Nov. 2-4, 2012
- Excerpt: Looking at the Oscar chances of Flight, Wreck-It Ralph, A Late Quartet and This Must Be the Place
Projection: Oscar – An Opening Yawn
The Cause Cannot Fail, It Can Only Be Failed: The Master and the Inadequacies of Ideology
Andrew Wyatt @ Gateway Cinephiles
- Excerpt: hus far, there has been little discussion of the prominent place of ideology in The Master’s dense thematic landscape. In particular, the film’s acidic criticism of the American zeal for a transformative, receivable Truth is one of its most enthralling aspects, and one that deserves serious attention.
Favorite Female Stars on MAHQ
Film Threat Podcast – Episode 76 – A Lack of Vitamin D
Don Lewis @ Film Threat
If Only Obama’s and Chris Christie’s Critics Could Watch ‘Lincoln’
- Excerpt: What neither Spielberg nor Obama nor Romney could’ve predicted is how much a certain Superstorm” would drive Lincoln’s central themes home.”
The Minions Get Caught Up in a Horror Movie Nightmare in the First Hilarious Full Trailer for “Despicable Me 2”
- Excerpt: If you missed the first Despicable Me movie back in 2010, you missed a helluva good time. It was like a sarcastic and wholesome melting pot of goodness (complete with feisty orphans, a criminal mastermind and a mad scientist), to be exact.
The New “Texas Chainsaw 3D” Motion Poster Effectively Thrills, While Promising Nothing New
Candice Frederick @ Reel Talk
- Excerpt: check out this awesome and frightfully effective motion poster for Texas Chainsaw 3D, and tell me you’re not at least a little curious about it. Thought so.
On Trend: Stallone, Schwarzenegger, and the Rise of the Over-50 Action Hero
R. Kurt Osenlund @ Slant Magazine
- Excerpt: About life on cinema, about cinema on life.