OFCS members don’t just write film reviews. Here are several articles you might find interesting.
Best of Lists
The Top Ten American 1960’s SF/Fantasy Pet Companions
The Top Ten American Sci-Fi TV Doctors.
The Top Ten American SF/Fantasy TV Show openings.
4 Belief – Testing People: Penny Lane on her New Documentary, Hail Satan?
- Excerpt: Satanic and institution—those two words are not particularly well suited to be in the same sentence. They are anti-authoritarian! They hate groups! They can’t have dogma!
Father Son Holy Gore’s Interview with FX Legend Gabe Bartalos
- Excerpt: Gabe talks about his artistic process, what influences him, dreams, what it was like to parachute a bunch of chickens out of a plane, and a bunch of other neat stuff that came up along the way.
Hail Satan?’ director Lane spent 3 years with group
- Excerpt: I just kind of chase down what I find interesting or perplexing, Hail Satan? director Penny Lane says by phone from New York. “It’s the kind of topic that forces me to challenge my own preconceptions on a subject and update my views if I find I’m wrong. I love the feeling of finding out that I’m wrong. I think the people who love my films also like that feeling.”
In Big Fur, KC director Dan Wayne chronicles a taxidermist’s attempt to take on Bigfoot
- Excerpt: Alan Alda once advised, “Never Have Your Dog Stuffed.” But as KC-based director Dan Wayne’s new documentary Big Fur demonstrates, the M*A*S*H star may have simply visited the wrong taxidermist.
Intruder’s director lucky to make movies
- Excerpt: Like all filmmakers, Deon Taylor will tell you he’s blessed to be making movies. In his case, he’s also fortunate to simply be alive. “I was raised in project housing,” he says on the phone from Kansas City International Airport. “I’ve seen a lot of people shot and killed. I’ve had a single-parent home. What happens is when you’re in these environments, you have drama. You experience racism.
Levine says he’s better than Kubrick (he’s joking)
- Excerpt: Director Jonathan Levine has mined some seemingly unlikely topics for laughs in his movies. He found mirth in cancer (50/50), drugs (The Wackness), the challenges of interfaith marriages (The Night Before), zombie outbreaks (Warm Bodies), and now, with his new romantic comedy, Long Shot, politics. How does he wring laughs from subjects that might lead to tears or loud dinner table arguments?
Ramy Doesn’t Hide Anything: An Interview with the Stars of Hulu’s New Series, Ramy
- Excerpt: So in the show it’s really exciting that Ramy doesn’t really have a code that he follows yet. He has what he believes but he doesn’t really stick to his own rules.
They Don’t Know Me: The Joy Luck Club’s Tsai Chin Looks Back on Her 6-Decade Career
What Happened to Charles Manson’s Girls After Their Killing Spree? A New Film Explores Their Lives Behind Bars.
Festivals: General Coverage
11 Must-See SIFF 2019 Movies
- Excerpt: With more than 400 films, SIFF is an unwieldy monster. With that in mind, here are some suggestions to help navigate.
A Rich and Varied World: Highlights of the San Francisco Silent Film Festival
- Excerpt: There is a rich world and varied world in the silents, from surreal comedy to magnificent spectacle to adult drama, with performances both bold and nuanced. That is the experience celebrated at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival, the biggest and greatest celebration of cinema before the talkies in the U.S.
Doris Day: A Personal Remembrance
Saying goodbye to the Tivoli, an irreplaceable anchor of Kansas City cinema
- Excerpt: On April 12, Tivoli Cinemas, a Westport staple for 36 years, screened its last art-house flick. Owner Jerry Harrington announced the theater would close earlier that week, and just like that, one of Kansas City’s most beloved cultural destinations was gone.
Thank You, Doris Day!
- Excerpt: It’s impossible to know how many people have been touched by Doris Day’s wonderful work as an actress, singer and animal rights activist. I am lucky to be one of them, so she has a special place in my heart.
Reviews of Short Films
Bee Together (2018)
Paulo Peralta @ CinEuphoria [Portuguese]
Paulo Peralta @ CinEuphoria [Portuguese]
Other Types of Articles
Book Review: Blood on Black Wax Takes You Back to the Sights and Sounds of Horror Soundtracks
- Excerpt: A focus on album art and hard-to-find releases fatten out the analysis of the great genre soundtracks of our youth.