OFCS members don’t just write film reviews. Here are several articles you might find interesting.
Best of Lists
The 50 Best Movies of 2015
- Excerpt: I contributed capsule reviews of “The Diary of a Teenage Girl,” “Shaun the Sheep Movie” and “Creed”
The Best Movies of 2015
The Worst Movies of 2015
Martians and Machines and the Dying Girl: The Best of 2015
My Favorite Discoveries/First-Time Viewings of 2015
My Favorite Films of 2015
2015 Oscar Winner Predictions: First Predictions
- Excerpt: A look at our first post-nominations Oscar predictions.
2016 Oscar Preview – Sure Things And Dark Horses
Did You Hear the One About Lady Gaga Winning Over Kirsten Dunst?
Do the Golden Globes Really Predict the Oscars?
- Excerpt: The Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which gives out the Globes, is a tiny organization comparatively (“about 90 members,” according to their website, vs. the nearly 7,000 members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences), and with a very different makeup of journalists (and some pretty sketchy at that) rather than the actors, filmmakers, execs, and other craftspeople who vote on the Oscars. So we decided to look back at the six major Oscar categories over the past ten years, to see how often their winners already had a Globe in hand.
The Hollywood Reporter Director Roundtable Is Everything That’s Wrong With Awards Season (and Hollywood)
- Excerpt: It’s the sheer sense of déjà vu in the group, a monotonous return of the same damn voices saying the same damn things. But it’s appropriate, as a symbol of both Hollywood in general and awards season in particular.
No Concessions: Oscar Fury
- Excerpt: My Oscar nominations coverage.
Oscar Nominations: Please Put All Complaints Into the Suggestion Box (So They Can Be Promptly Thrown Into the Garbage)
Oscar Preview: Precursor Winners & Losers, Week 7
- Excerpt: A look at the winners and losers of Precursor Week 7.
‘The Revenant’ Is Now an Important Movie About the Struggles of Indigenous Peoples, Apparently
- Excerpt: In their acceptance speeches, the actor and director tipped their hands at their new strategy for going all the way: repositioning their movie as an earnest statement about the plight of indigenous peoples. Never mind that this agenda has fuck-all to do with ‘The Revenant’ itself.
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu
Brie Larson – Room
Lenny Abrahamson – Room
Michael B. Jordan – Creed
Ryan Coogler – Creed
Tessa Thompson – Creed
Will Poulter – The Revenant
Festivals: Individual Reviews
- Excerpt: With his sophomore film, cowriter/director Ali Ahmadzade establishes himself as a major new voice in Iranian cinema….a fascinating, funny, frightening film.
What’s Up Doc?: Park City Premieres From Pennebaker/ Hagedus, Herzog & Greene Help Bring In The New Year
12 Monkeys (Season 1)
- Excerpt: On its move to HBO.
Something About the Season 6 Premiere of SHAMELESS Rubbed Me the Wrong Way
Chimes at Midnight
Destroy All Monsters: Whedon vs. Abrams
Don’t Freak Out Too Hard About How Many People Streamed ‘The Ridiculous Six”
- Excerpt: The Verge ran an item in which Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos claimed The Ridiculous Six, the universally reviled Western parody that kicked off Adam Sandler’s series of Netflix original films, was already “the most-watched movie in the history of Netflix,” barely a month after its debut. This is the kind of news that makes those of us who care about movies, who consider them an art form worth celebrating and preserving, want to march directly into the sea.
The Real History of The Revenant and Explaining the Ending
- Excerpt: The wilderness he has soiled with his and Fitzgerald’s blood, and their petty human concerns, will also one day fade away because of Glass’ people—but Glass and his kind keep breathing. He is a survivalist at heart, and he did not survive grizzly bears, frozen river rapids, French gunfire, and an odyssey of snow only to give up because his revenge is quenched.
Revisiting all 8 of Freddy’s nightmares, the richest of the slasher franchises
Why Do We Care So Much About ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Breaking Box-Office Records?
- Excerpt: Star Wars: The Force Awakens is, predictably, making an ungodly amount of money; the question is only much more it will make. But here’s the biggest question: why do we care so much?
I Saved My First D-BOX Experience For Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Excerpt: Review of the David Bowie stage musical, from the film The Man Who Fell to Earth.
Monday Memo: Doc Making Gender Equality In Question, MAKING A MURDERER Continues Cultural Ascent
The Morning After: Jan. 11, 2016
- Excerpt: A short review of “Spotlight”