Here are our latest reviews of films on DVD.
Pre-2017 Film Reviews
Luiz Santiago @ Plano Crítico (2009) [Portuguese]
- Excerpt: As a young girl Ana was a rebellious child. She was also tormented by images of death and a shadowy, ominous figure in black. Now an adult, she is once again tormented by shadowy, other-worldly forms.
The Case of the Scorpion’s Tail
Luiz Santiago @ Plano Crítico (1971) [Portuguese]
- Excerpt: The Case of the Scorpion’s Tail begins with the mysterious death of a millionaire and spirals into the murder of his suddenly rich wife, which draws the attention of a dogged investigator, who follows a trail of blood to the bitter end.
The Color Purple
Federico Furzan @ Cinelipsis (1985) [Spanish]
Daughter of Shanghai
Tynan Yanaga @ 4 Star Films (1937)
The House of the Laughing Windows
Luiz Santiago @ Plano Crítico (1976) [Portuguese]
- Excerpt: Stefano, a young restorer, is commissioned to save a controversial mural located in the church of a small, isolated village.
I Walked with a Zombie
Tynan Yanaga @ 4 Star Films (1943)
Man of a Thousand Faces
- Excerpt: Disregarding the fictionalization of events, revisiting the film was a pleasant surprise. Pevney may at best be regarded by film critics as a journeyman, but seeing Man of a Thousand Faces in its intended CinemaScope presentation displays interesting, if not consistent, use of the wide screen.
The Skin Game
Luiz Santiago @ Plano Crítico (1931) [Portuguese]
- Excerpt: An old traditional family and a modern family battle over land in a small English village and almost destroy each other.
The Strange Colour of Your Body’s Tears
Luiz Santiago @ Plano Crítico (2013) [Portuguese]
- Excerpt: Returning home from a business trip to discover his wife missing, a man delves deeper and deeper into a surreal kaleidoscope of half-baked leads, seduction, deceit, and murder. Does anyone in the building know something?
When Michael Calls
James Edwards @ FilmFracture (1972)