Here are our latest reviews of films on DVD.
Pre-2017 Film Reviews
Roderick Heath @ This Island Rod (1988) [Romanian]
- Excerpt: Russell’s film doesn’t have the same elevated conceptual edge or sense of brooding perversity other well-regarded remakes of ‘50s sci-fi hits including Carpenter’s take on The Thing (1982) or David Cronenberg’s The Fly (1986) wielded. But it slyly explores the disparity of social outlook, as well as the nagging similarities, between 1958 and 1988.
Do Paise Ki Dhoop, Chaar Aane Ki Baarish
Tusshar Sasi @ Filmy Sasi (2009)
- Excerpt: Set in the unfeeling yet large-hearted city of Mumbai, Deepti Naval’s directorial debut Do Paise Ki Dhoop Chaar Aane Ki Baarish tells a heartfelt tale of loneliness, hope and togetherness with a great deal of empathy. Screened at various coveted international film festivals, the film starring Manisha Koirala, Rajit Kapur and Sanaj Naval is now streaming on Netflix.
Electric Dragon 80000V
- Excerpt: A team of Japanese industrial punks decide to made a surrealistic black and white superhero noise musical. If this sounds awesome to you, we won’t argue.
Hot to Trot / Perversion Story
Luiz Santiago @ Plano Crítico (1969) [Portuguese]
- Excerpt: A deadly game of living chess.
Juno and the Paycock
Luiz Santiago @ Plano Crítico (1930) [Portuguese]
- Excerpt: During the Irish Civil War in 1922, a family earns a big inheritance. They start leading a rich life, forgetting what the most important values are.
A Lizard in a Woman’s Skin
Luiz Santiago @ Plano Crítico (1971) [Portuguese]
- Excerpt: The potentially unhinged daughter of a British politician is accused of killing her hedonistic neighbor after she witnesses the murder in a dream.
- Excerpt: Of the feature films made by great silent film comedians, Our Hospitality may be one of the gentlest films ever made.
A Quiet Place in the Country
Luiz Santiago @ Plano Crítico (1968) [Portuguese]
- Excerpt: Nymphomania, necrophilia, fetishism, sadomasochism.