Our critics have been hard at work reviewing the latest films. Here is a look at what’s coming out this weekend (in select cities, check your local listings) and what else may be in theaters right now.
Opening: October 17-19, 2014
Wide (United States)
The Best of Me
The Book of Life
Expanding (United States)
Men, Women & Children
Limited (United States)
- Excerpt: Sight-challenged Indian teenagers push to become championship chess players in this disappointingly slight, surface-dwelling documentary.
- Excerpt: Featuring a dynamic performance from Maadi and thoughtful one from Stewart, the claustrophobic drama only falters when it leans too heavily on obvious metaphors and screenwriting cliches in its final moments.
- Excerpt: Sattler deserves a medal for giving us Kristen Stewart’s finest performance to date, and Peyman Moaadi has a star-making turn here.
Dear White People
Listen Up, Philip
- Excerpt: an aggravating, arrogant, and entertaining portrait of the toxicity of ill-suited relationships and the narcissistic danger of letting success consume your livelihood.
- Excerpt: methodically churning into a stagnant trench of recycled Greek tragedy themes, a familial saga of vengeance, murder, and inheritance never coalescing into a comfortable stride.
2014 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
20,000 Days on Earth
- Excerpt: let’s face it, films seeking mainstream affirmation, whatever the market it is aimed at, are not comfortable portraying women seeking sexual fulfillment without proving how sick, twisted, or downright whorish they are for attempting to explore sexual inclinations
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
And So It Goes
- Excerpt: Too many thoughts, not enough focus in this neatly realized futurist film
The Blue Room
Edge of Tomorrow
- Excerpt: A richly developed psychological drama about the fire of ambition in the lives of a gold-medal winning wrestler and a multimillionaire wrestling enthusiast.
Get on Up
The Good Lie
I Am Ali
- Excerpt: At best, I AM ALI is a primer for the few that a long line of documentaries about this extremely well documented sports and Civil Rights figure has thus far eluded. At worst, I AM ALI is a forgettable CliffsNotes-style profile that hits many of the landmark moments in Ali’s life while avoiding the dissenting points of view concerning his controversial stances on the Vietnam war and the Black Muslim movement.
Kill the Messenger
Nas: Time Is Illmatic
The Pact II
- Excerpt: Somewhere wrapped up in its inconsistencies is a strange little movie that might have had some potential
Tales of the Grim Sleeper
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Trip to Italy
United We Fall
2014 Films (Coming Soon)
Black Coal, Thin Ice
- Excerpt: Mucho Oso de Oro, pero no es buena.
- Excerpt: Fun doc about irreverent pot activist Marc Emery invites a wider debate.
Dioses y Perros
Diego Salgado @ Guía del Ocio [Spanish]
Grace of Monaco
Dragan Antulov @ FAK [Croatian]
- Excerpt: Savršenstvo vanjske forme ovdje manje nadoknaduje, a više istice ispraznost i promašenost sadržaja.
Grace of Monaco
Paulo Peralta @ CinEuphoria [Portuguese]
The Lives of Hamilton Fish
Phil Hall @ Film Threat
- Excerpt: In my book, the very best film of 2014.
Maps to the Stars
- Excerpt: There’s something a little off kilter about this tale – and not in a good way. For a comedy-drama set amongst the politics of La la Land, the ambiance is surprisingly lethargic.
- Excerpt: Estás tan metido en la película, que hasta que no termina, no te das cuenta de las trampas que tiene.
- Excerpt: Edwardian thriller offers formula instead of vision
These Final Hours
José Arce @ LaButaca.net [Spanish]
- Excerpt: Fantástico thriller apocalíptico que sumerge al espectador en las horas postreras de una humanidad entregada al fin de los tiempos. Muy bien maquinada desde el guion y su puesta en escena, una propuesta tan sorprendente como aterradora en su racional consistencia.
What We Did On Our Holiday
- Excerpt: A charming slice of British comedy that will contain many-a-moment recognisable to anyone who’s ever been on a holiday with their family.