Our critics have been hard at work reviewing the latest films. Here is a look at what’s coming out this weekend (in select cities, check your local listings) and what else may be in theaters right now.
Opening: Feb. 19-21, 2016
Wide (United States)
Limited (United States)
Embrace the Serpent
- Excerpt: A cross-cultural masterpiece set in the Amazon.
2015 & 2016 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi
Batman: Bad Blood
The Beauty Inside
Best of Enemies
Bridge of Spies
- Excerpt: Living up (or down) to the worst traits of a remake, Cabin Fever does nothing to justify its existence.
Eddie the Eagle
Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films
The Finest Hours
- Excerpt: A film like Forsaken doesn’t come around often—that is, one that adheres to the dictionary definition of a classical genre without ever attempting to subvert it, nor stand out within it or do a single thing that might be perceived as being flexible with the playbook.
- Excerpt: A sort of cinematic antique, a fifties western that’s been spruced up but doesn’t even try to hide its dusty origins. But it has small pleasures, especially in the casting.
A Hard Day
- Excerpt: Call it a modern Korean cop noir with a wicked sense of humor and an absurdly busy catalog of disasters.
How to Be Single
Ingrid Bergman: In Her Own Words
- Excerpt: Ingrid Bergman: In Her Own Words wonderfully humanizes an icon who already seems so down-to-earth in her performances. It’s a warm, frank, and affectionate portrait.
Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet
Kung Fu Panda 3
Mountains May Depart
Naz and Maalik
Portrait of a Serial Monogamist
- Excerpt: As Elsie wanders the city like a tramp in search of a lady, one can’t help but enjoy the charm of Portrait of a Serial Monogamist and hope that she finds a partner—and maybe even herself.
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Queen of Earth
Time Out of Mind
Touched with Fire
- Excerpt: Unfortunately, I didn’t quite find the same level of investment when it’s just Holmes and Kirby. They’re both great at getting to the heart of their illness thanks to Dalio’s direction and their own driven attachment to the material, but the plot facilitating their collision course is too convenient.
- Excerpt: Officer down.
What Happened, Miss Simone?
Where to Invade Next
José Arce @ LaButaca.net [Spanish]
- Excerpt: Disney vuelve a la carga (en realidad vive en una carga constante desde hace años) con esta genial propuesta de animación detectivesca que propone un plano técnico verdaderamente bárbaro. A vender muñecos, sí, pero aquí también hay forma y fondo. Genial.
Diego Salgado @ Cine para Leer [Spanish]
2016 Films (Coming Soon)
The Art of the Prank
As We Were Dreaming
Hugo Gomes @ Cinematograficamente Falando … [Portuguese]
End of Days, Inc.
- Excerpt: The silver lining is some confetti to celebrate the end.
How to Win Enemies
In Your Dreams!
- Excerpt: Behind all the cool choreographed stunts and trippy mind warps between life and fantasy is a young girl lost at her latest make-or-break moment. She’s on the ledge with the danger independence supplies laid out in front of her and a safety rope close enough to assist in the jump.
Love & Peace
Schneider vs. Bax
The Sky Trembles and the Earth Is Afraid and the Two Eyes Are Not Brothers
Weepah Way for Now
Your Money or Your Wife
- Excerpt: Your Money or Your Wife might be, like, the most Canadian romantic heist comedy ever made.