Our critics have been hard at work reviewing the latest films. Here is a look at what’s coming out this weekend (in select cities, check your local listings) and what else may be in theaters right now.
Opening: Feb. 12-14, 2016
Wide (United States)
How to Be Single
Expanding (United States)
Limited (United States)
- Excerpt: With its moral dilemma of a fulcrum and its motif of a marriage tested by the duty and distance of a soldiering husband, Tobias Lindholm’s A War bears all the markings of a topical, made-for-television melodrama. Yet with his lean, deliberate narrative and aesthetic choices, Lindholm has stripped the story down to its most powerful essence.
- Excerpt: Without judgement, we’re shown how rules of engagement, both followed and broken, can lead to the loss of innocent lives.
Where to Invade Next
2015 & 2016 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi
3 1/2 Minutes, Ten Bullets
The 5th Wave
88th Oscars: Nominated Shorts
Already Tomorrow in Hong Kong
- Excerpt: It’s a heartbreaking trajectory containing very affecting scenes. Some of the particulars pile on more taboos than maybe one film should carry–see Kent’s demons–but everything that occurs does so in order for the cast to earn their salaries.
The Big Short
The Danish Girl
The Duke of Burgundy
The Finest Hours
Frame by Frame
The Good Dinosaur
The Hateful Eight
The Hunting Ground
In Jackson Heights
Jane Got a Gun
- Excerpt: [VIDEOI ESSAY] The film is less a blend of genres than one big mess.
- Excerpt: Nina Forever would be funny if it wasn’t so disturbing, and it would be disturbing if it wasn’t so funny.
The Pearl Button
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
- Excerpt: What this French redo of Mario Bava’s 1974 heist thriller lacks in plot it more than makes up for in flashy camerawork, energy … Hitchcock would have cued us to the twist ending earlier.
- Excerpt: A horror flick about the blundering of humanity on a scale so enormous that global warming is only a small part of it. But its monster is not unconquerable.
Paulo Peralta @ CinEuphoria [Portuguese]
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
What Happened, Miss Simone?
Winter on Fire: Ukraine’s Fight for Freedom
2016 Films (Coming Soon)
Ghayal Once Again
The Greasy Strangler
Harold and Lillian: A Hollywood Love Story
- Excerpt: Doc pays tribute to the unsung heroes in the film industry.
I Am Belfast
Man vs Snake: The Long and Twisted Tale of Nibbler
Manchester by the Sea
Mountains May Depart
Alan Mattli @ Maximum Cinema [German]
- Excerpt: Thematically, there is an atmosphere of departure that’s refreshing to see in Swiss cinema. In terms of how it’s executed, however, ‘Nichts passiert’ checks the all too familiar boxes of Swiss mediocrity.
Diego Salgado @ Guía del Ocio [Spanish]
These Daughters of Mine
This Is Bossa Nova
- Excerpt: [VIDEO ESSAY] The pure delight of hearing Bossa Nova played on nylon-stringed guitars by veteran masters of the music, is more than sufficient reason to learn about this relatively young music’s vibrant history.