OFCS members don’t just write film reviews. Here are several articles you might find interesting.
Best of Lists
10 Best Movies of 2018
10 Great Slow-Burn Horror Movies
- Excerpt: Slow-burn horror movies done right can be some of the scariest movies in the genre. Here are some of our favorites!
20 Year Retrospective: The 10 Best Films of 1998
- Excerpt: When measuring back as far as twenty years or more, I feel like favorites that have stood the test of time have aged to become some level of “best.” A bunch of those populate my reflective look back at the best of 1998.
50 Most Anticipated Movies of 2019
- Excerpt: Who’s psyched to watch a bunch of movies in 2019?
Aaron’s Superb Top Ten Films of 2018
- Excerpt: I had a lot of fun putting together this final top ten list, knowing full well the strong set of contenders.
Aaron’s Top 25 Favorite Movie Scenes Of 2018
- Excerpt: I gathered this set of movie scenes that range from dance number and action scenes to big speeches and carefully edited moments.
The Best Films of 2018
- Excerpt: According to my Letterboxd account, I spent roughly 378 hours of 2018 watching movies – 206 of them, to be exact. Now, as the year has drawn to a close, it’s time once again to pick my favourites from that selection.
Confessions of a Film Freak
- Excerpt: One major connective theme of 2018’s cinema meditated upon shambolic figures who find themselves at the mercy of fate at once leviathan-like but also often informed by seemingly trivial signifiers – a motif that connects a film as massive as Avengers: Infinity War and as rarefied as Lucrecia Martel’s Spanish Colonial tale Zama.
Every Horror Film of 2017, Ranked
My Favorite Films of 2018 (Part One of Two)
My Top Ten Films of 2018
- Excerpt: What a year! Here are my 2018 top movies and scenes plus my favorite film quote.
Nerdist’s Top 10 Television Shows of 2018
Top 10 Movies of 2018: Mainstream Edition
Top 10 Weird Movies of 2018
New Year, New You director Sophia Takal on turning social media self-care into horror
Never-Ending Man: Hayao Miyazaki
- Excerpt: Much of the reason Hayao Miyazaki’s movies have been so rewarding is that they reflect their creator. They are a type of funhouse mirror of his own life. It’s certainly helpful that he’s a fascinating guy.
Feature: The Internet Film Critics Society (IFCS) announces its Annual Movie Awards for 2018
Feature: The Online Film Critics Society (OFCS) announces its Annual Movie Awards for 2018
Don’t Look Now (1973)
- Excerpt: Roeg described Don’t Look Now as his exercise in film grammar, a concise if rather dry description that hardly encompasses all the flourishes encoded into the film‘s tapestry-like form, one that recounts a simple story in the most enriching fashion.
Giallo is the Horror Subgenre You Need to Explore
The Untouchables (1987)
- Excerpt: De Palma‘s eye delights in Chicago‘s curlicues of transplanted baroque, the stain-glass domes, thrusting campaniles, colonnaded porticos, and marble-decked railway station steps. The perfect abode for a moon-faced gangster to weep rivers in sympathy for a bellowing Pagliacci whilst a victim of his rule crawls laboriously along his hallway carpet with a belly full of hot lead.
Reviews of Short Films
- Excerpt: Moving and inspirational. Ian is a sweet-minded message of inclusion–the need to belong and overcome differences that are perceived as glaring obstacles. A winning fable about the determination to seek out personal friendships and experience acceptance
Other Types of Articles
20 Year Retrospective: The best of the rest of 1998
- Excerpt: It’s time to take the press badge off and get casual. Here are more categories of distinction and remembrance from 1998.
New Year’s Resolutions for the Film Industry for 2019
- Excerpt: Plenty of regular everyday people make New Year’s Resolutions, but I think bigger entities, namely movie makers and movie moguls, need to make them too.
Trotsky (television miniseries review, 2017)
Dragan Antulov @ Draxblog VI [Croatian]
- Excerpt: Trocki uspijeva sacuvati koherentnost i pružiti fascinantan prikaz licnosti i dogadaja za koje bismo, usprkos njihove spektakularnosti, voljeli vjerovati da su zauvijek iza nas.