OFCS members don’t just write film reviews. Here are several articles you might find interesting.
Best of Lists
The 10 Best Broad City YouTube Episodes
Top 10 Movie Marriages Gone Bad
Memo to the Academy: For Your Consideration
- Excerpt: As voting deadlines loom, Oscar voters should consider ‘Spotlight’, ‘Carol’, ‘Youth’ and ‘What Happened, Miss Simone?’
Oscar Preview: Precursor Winners & Losers, Week 12
- Excerpt: Looking at the winners and losers from Precursor Week 12
Aaron Paul – Triple 9
Anthony Mackie – Triple 9
Chiwetel Ejiofor – Triple 9
David Benjamin Steinberg, Composer of “Mapplethorpe: Look At the Pictures”
- Excerpt: There is a motif that goes through the film that sort of always reconnects to this sort of bittersweet piano and that cue accompanies sections where they have to deal with Robert’s relationship with his family, with his father. And then there was also a motif that the directors wanted to convey which was this idea that Robert, who would die very young at 42, that he was in a race against time to do as much work as he could before he died and a race against time to become famous.
Deniz Gamze Erguven
- Excerpt: The Mustang director talks female filmmakers and Oscar chances.
John Hillcoat – Triple 9
Kiara C. Jones Talks Romantic Comedies, Diversity in Hollywood, and Why This Critic Got It Wrong
- Excerpt: Why do you need to blacken” it up? Do you think people are going to miss the fact that your character is black?”
Stephen Hopkins, director of “Race”
- Excerpt: We shot in the real stadium and it visually affected the scenes because it’s an edifice that’s built to intimidate. You are meant to feel small and scared.
Undying Love: the Blaine brothers talk love, sex, death and Nina Forever
Festivals: Individual Reviews
Toronto Black Film Festival: Dry
Toronto Black Film Festival: Game Face
Toronto Black Film Festival: The Girl is in Trouble
Broad City: Season Three
- Excerpt: The half-hour comedy is set within a distinctive little culture of folks whose idea of a good time is taking their metal detectors to open fields for hours on end
- Excerpt: … begins as a murder mystery and turns into something closer to biological horror.
iZombie: Season 1
- Excerpt: The supernatural elements are woven through real world experiences and mystery series conventions, which gives the show a lighter tone and a very different take on the undead than The Walking Dead and its ilk.
Destroy All Monsters: A Negasonic Teenage Warhead Is About To Go Off
Reviews of Short Films
Claude Lanzmann: Spectres of the Shoah
Paulo Peralta @ CinEuphoria [Portuguese]
- Excerpt: Spanish Short Film Review
Daughter of God
- Excerpt: Daughter of God is the “Exposed” director’s cut — and a much better film.
Monday Memo: Berlin Begins, True/False Lineup Released, SXSW Adds Titles
The Morning After: Feb. 15, 2016
- Excerpt: A short review of “Deadpool”