Prometheus

Jerry

Prometheus

Postby Jerry » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:11 am

*** SPOILER WARNING ***

Okay, time to discuss Ridley Scott's Prometheus, and I find that the reaction is mixed.

I loved it. I thought it was a grand, visionary experience, but just as important, it is an affirmation that idealistic science fiction is not dead. The best sci-fi is based on ideas, not laser guns and global domination. With the recent death of Ray Bradbury, I felt a sense of melancholy that the grandness of thoughtful science fiction was passing with him. This film gives me hope that there is still a film artist who sees the possibilities of the genre. Yes, there are monsters and shoot-outs, but there’s something worthwhile in the screenplay to back it up.

OscarGuy
Name: Wesley Lovell

Re: Prometheus

Postby OscarGuy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:44 pm

Is it a worthwhile screenplay, though? I mostly just found myself trying to fill in all the plot holes and then realized that doing so only validated my disdain for the script. It wants to be about religion, faith and all that rot, but it ends up being more about which scientific inaccuracy will be ignored and what plot element will cause you to scratch your head the hardest.

It was lovely to look at and decently well acted, but Damon Lindelof should be drummed out of the business for that screenplay. Contact did a far better job exploring the nature of faith, religion and science.

Jennie Kermode
Name: Jennie Kermode

Re: Prometheus

Postby Jennie Kermode » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:39 am

It's a great short film about an android. I'm not sure why Scott chose to pad it out with all that running round the corridors and sub-Species Giger indulgence (pretty though it was).

Return to “General Discussion”