The Worst Films Ever Made . . .

Jerry

The Worst Films Ever Made . . .

Postby Jerry » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:50 am

Not just movies you didn't like. I want to hear about the ones that plunged you into the depths of cinematic despair. The ones where you said "I'd rather have foot surgery without anesthetic."

Rick Aragon
Name: Rick Aragon

Re: The Worst Films Ever Made . . .

Postby Rick Aragon » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:09 pm

Truth be told, I do have a soft spot for some bad films such as Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine or Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, but then they are in the 'so bad they're good' category. Recently, some horrid films that I suffered throught, sent me into cinematic despair (to coin a phrase) have been The Hangover Part II, both Green films (Hornet and Lantern) and I Melt With You.

It takes a lot to get me to leave a theater or end a screener angry, but those elicited fits of fury from me.

I'll put it this way: at the end of The Hangover Part II, I feared the film was a Sign of the End of Western Civilization.

How's that for despair?

Jerry

Postby Jerry » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:23 pm

I could not agree with you more about I Melt With You. I thought I was the only one who even saw that movie, now comes the depressing information that I wasn't.

I found it to be a miserable experience. A dark, dreary, morose film that takes four potentially interesting characters, soaks them in booze, drugs and self-pity and then drags us through a second act that throws them into a psychological Hell of their own making. If we cared at all about these characters this might mean something, but they are such loathsome and self-pitying jerks that we long to just get away from them. The last hour of this picture is one of the most depressing experiences you'll ever have.

John

Postby John » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:41 am

The last time somebody asked this question at the OFCS forum, I said hands down the worst film I'd ever seen was Freddy Got Fingered, the abysmal "comedy" Tom Green made back in 2001. My reason for disliking it so much was not only because it was revoltingly unfunny, but because it was a major studio production, not some little independent film shot on a shoestring. However, after stating my selection, somebody shot back with a defense of the film, saying he liked it quite a lot and suggesting I must be wrong. Let's see if that happens again. :)

Jerry

Postby Jerry » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:51 am

However, after stating my selection, somebody shot back with a defense of the film, saying he liked it quite a lot and suggesting I must be wrong. Let's see if that happens again

Your defense could be simply that Tom Green no longer has a film career. According to the IMDb, he hasn't made a movie in three years.

John J. Puccio

Postby John J. Puccio » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:55 am

Jerry wrote:
However, after stating my selection, somebody shot back with a defense of the film, saying he liked it quite a lot and suggesting I must be wrong. Let's see if that happens again

Your defense could be simply that Tom Green no longer has a film career. According to the IMDb, he hasn't made a movie in three years.

:). Yeah, I suppose there is some consolation in knowing the guy won't be abusing us with his movies again anytime soon.

By the way, does anybody else have trouble with the automated log-in here? I keep having to log in with my name and password each time I come, even though I've checked the box saying to keep me logged in, and even though I have OFCS cookies set to save (I delete most other cookies automatically).

Jerry Roberts

Postby Jerry Roberts » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:51 am

:). Yeah, I suppose there is some consolation in knowing the guy won't be abusing us with his movies again anytime soon.

It wasn't so much that he made Freddy Got Fingered that bothered me, I can mentally throw away a bad movie without a second thought. What bothered me was the he INTENTIONALLY set out to make a bad movie. He's like a kid in school who keeps doing annoying things that nobody thinks are funny, not even other kids.

Jennie Kermode
Name: Jennie Kermode

Postby Jennie Kermode » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:35 am

There are probably worse things out there, but I hope I never discover them; the worst I ever had to sit through was Meet The Spartans. I've had a few unpleasant surgical experiences without anaesthetic in my time (it turns out my body doesn't respond to one group of drugs) and that film was about on a par.

Jerry Roberts

Postby Jerry Roberts » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:13 pm

There are probably worse things out there, but I hope I never discover them

The problem is that they often fall on you when you least expect them. The worst movies, I find, often happen in the pursuit of something that you hope will be a diamond in the rough. For me, they come in two varieties:

One, are the films made my people who ought to know better. I was hit hard last year by a incomprehensible mess called Sucker Punch, which was directed by Zack Snyder, the man who directed some films that I liked, like Watchmen and 300. Or U-Turn, directed by Oliver Stone. Or even Hannibal, directed by Ridley Scott.

Second are the films made my people who really don't seem to know what movies are all about. They cheapen the experience of going to the movies and make of mess out of this art form that I have dedicated my life to.

Jennie Kermode
Name: Jennie Kermode

Postby Jennie Kermode » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:08 am

I usually know I'm going to see a bad film and just don't have much choice about it. As an editor, it's my job to catch the films that no-one on my staff is willing to cover. It's one of those problems that people don't consider when they insist this is a dream job.

Canadian Cinephile
Name: Jordan Richardson

Postby Canadian Cinephile » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:19 am

Bit of trivia, my neighbour actually worked on Freddy Got Fingered as the "fabricator." Said it was a blast to make.

Of the more recent flicks I've seen, I'd say Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Project X, One for the Money, and This Means War make the grade. Just awful, repugnant, immoral films.

Jerry Roberts

Postby Jerry Roberts » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:18 pm

I usually know I'm going to see a bad film and just don't have much choice about it. As an editor, it's my job to catch the films that no-one on my staff is willing to cover. It's one of those problems that people don't consider when they insist this is a dream job.

I can understand that, but my perspective is that I have to give every movie its day in court. If I walk in with clenched fists, then I am robbing myself of whatever positive qualities may come from even the most routine film. I find that most (not all) bad comedies have at least one laugh or at least a smile in them no matter how bad the rest of the film may be. Of course there are exceptions.

I saw a picture the other night called John Carter, which was a monstrosity with a good technical side. I have to give the film credit for that even though the story was creaky and dull and about an hour too long. It was a good looking picture.

Return to “General Discussion”