Snow White and the Huntsman

Jerry

Snow White and the Huntsman

Postby Jerry » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:48 am

I had no interest what-so-ever in seeing this film. After being burned by Red Riding Hood last year, I have pulled back from the updating of classic fairy tales.

Yet, the movie seems to be getting good reviews. Now I want to see it. Any thoughts?

MaryAnn Johanson
Name: MaryAnn Johanson

Re: Snow White and the Huntsman

Postby MaryAnn Johanson » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:00 pm

Find a critic whose tasts align with yours and see what s/he thought. Base your decision to see/not see the film on that.
MaryAnn Johanson
pioneering online film critic (since 1997), cultural activist, drinker of tea
Twitter: twitter.com/maryannjohanson
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mjohansonwriter
Amazon author: www.amazon.com/author/maryannjohanson

tylergfoster
Name: Tyler Foster

Postby tylergfoster » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:05 am

I was no fan of Robin Hood, but Snow White and the Huntsman was worse in my book. The action is lifeless, the character development is entirely non-existent, and it's frequently boring. The only highlights are some of the visuals -- not all of them, mind you -- and the awesome cast of dwarves they've assembled.

Jerry

Postby Jerry » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:47 am

I defend it. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I walked in with a sense of dread, but the movie offers a bit more than I might have expected.

This is a movie of generous visuals, sumptuous production design and a story that, while admittedly thin, has just enough meat on it that the visuals don’t feel as if they are propped up on a story made out of tissue paper. This is a reimagining of the Snow White legend, not too far from the 1812 story by The Brothers Grimm, but just far enough to make the story feel new.

What I liked is that the director takes the material seriously and doesn’t pad it with in-jokes and silly asides. He paces the movie beautifully in order to give us time to get involved in what is going on. He allows moments to linger long enough that we can get a feel for the locations especially in the forest and in the glen. He allows Revenna’s machinations to sink into our minds so that we understand, at all times, what is at stake.

What doesn't work is Kristen Stewart who is banal at best. I could imagine someone else who might have brought more life to the character, someone like Anne Hathaway, Natalie Portman, Jennifer Lawrence, Rooney Mara or Ellen Page. Stewart is not one of my favorite actors. She always seems, I don’t know, disinterested in what is going on.

Return to “General Discussion”