Why do you love the movies?

Jerry Roberts

Why do you love the movies?

Postby Jerry Roberts » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:53 pm

Last November, I turned 40 years old. I reflected that thirty-five years of those four decades, have been spent going to the movies. I love the movies, they are my passion. Always have been, always will be. I am working toward becoming a film critic. In my lifetime, I think I have seen close to 10,000 movies, beginning with Walt Disney’s The Rescuers in 1977.

Movies are the most approachable of all the mass arts and most emotionally engaging. Art, music, theater, literature, those all have their merits, but movies encompass elements of all those arts, sometimes at the same time. We can get a visual, an auditory and an emotional pull from a movie that we can’t get from another medium. Movies work on our brains like nothing else. They also bring about community like nothing else. There’s something magical about seeing a movie in a space with as many people as possible.

From my vantage point, the movies are a picture window onto a world that never existed. They present a visual time-stamp of attitudes and ideas of a time long gone, never to be retrieved. You can complain about the racism of The Birth of a Nation with its positive portrayal of the Ku Klux Klan, but what you cannot deny is how invaluable it is historically. Right or wrong, it speaks to attitudes and feelings that a lot of moviegoers had at the time.

Movies do that, they record for all time the moments in history. There, on the screen, is a visual record of a moment captured in time for future generations to see. One night, when I was looking at It’s a Wonderful Life, I began to reflect that I was looking at a moment captured by the camera in 1946, only a few years before my parents were born. That movie, that glorious American classic, captures forever a time, a mood, and an attitude about America that has passed us by.

All movies, in a way, do that. Like a moving photograph they capture people and events that are long gone. Watch an old newsreel sometime, maybe from the 30s or 40s and you will see people passing in and out of the frame who were alive then, now most likely dead, captured forever within the tiny scope of the camera’s lens. You can recreate the Hindenburg with special effects, and you can tell your grandchildren stories about it, but we have it on film for all the world to see, a terrible event captured on film that took place generations before many of us were even born.

Movies have been around now for well over 100 years, and they’ve been my constant companion for nearly all of the conscious time that I have been on this planet. Now, as I totter boldly into my life’s second act, I always know that my friend will be there waiting.

Jennie Kermode
Name: Jennie Kermode

Re: Why do you love the movies?

Postby Jennie Kermode » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:30 am

I'm interested in stories, in the things they say about us and in the ways we look at and explore ourselves. Cinema is a reflexive process that may still be young but that is, as they say, standing on the shoulders of giants. It's a form of literature, of philosophy, and even in its crudest forms a vital cogniscent part of the human experience. I don't mean to be dry and remote in describing it that way - that, to me, is why it's exciting, dynamic and eternally rewarding.

Return to “General Discussion”