Here are our latest reviews of films on DVD.
Reviews of Classic Films
The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover
- Excerpt: An angry, misanthropic rant, but also a stunningly beautiful film. I
- Excerpt: Obviously, not all of this is strictly folkloric, but the mixture of legend and anime tropes makes for a surprisingly rich milieu: comic, tragic, and alien all at the same time.
- Excerpt: A singular achievement in English-language animation: a thematically and emotionally rich cartoon about talking animals untouched by sentiment and cutesiness.
Recent Home Video Releases
Robert Cashill @ Popdose
- Excerpt: Review of the flop biopic (1969).
White Haired Witch
Other Reviews from 2012 and earlier
Death Car on the Freeway
February Movie Journal
- Excerpt: [The Staircase] initially treats both sides fairly even-handedly, spending as much time with the prosecution as with the defense team, it shifts to being firmly in the “it was an accident and Peterson is innocent” camp from a relatively early stage. From that point onwards, it becomes less about the investigation (although de Lestrade and his team really got lucky on that point since the case throws up a surprising number of twists) and more about the role that the media plays in the trial, as well as the theatricality that lies at the heart of winning cases.
- Excerpt: Cinema Fearité Presents ‘Suspended Animation’ – A Different Kind Of Cannibal Holocaust